For the Love of Beans
Beans, glorious beans! Good thing I love ’em because I sure have eaten my fair share in the past couple of days. I drained a can of black beans for dinner last night and planned another black bean dinner tonight, so I could put the leftovers to use.
Tonight I decided to channel cookout season – c’mon it was 48! – with Black Bean Burgers.
These are the quickest, easiest burgers to make and you can change them up every time.
I pulled out these ingredients for tonight’s mix:
Ingredients (for one burger):
- 1/3 c. black beans
- 1 T. whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 T. salsa
- 2 T. frozen corn
- salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin to taste
1. Mash up the beans. I use a potato masher and it works pretty well.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Form a patty with your hands.
4. Throw that burger on a preheated, non-stick griddle/skillet. I just spray it with some Pam.
5. Let the burger get crusty on either side.
6. Top with your favorite burger condiments and enjoy!
While my burger cooked, I started my dinner with a crisp salad of romaine, field greens, red peppers, and dried cranberries.
Then, I put together my plate. Along with the burger – sans bun, I ate a baked sweet potato with cinnamon and some niblets of corn. I like some heat, so I topped my burger with Frank’s Red Hot. I’d rather have black bean burgers than beef burgers any day, so this was a very enjoyable meal!
I’m off to spend a little more time with the Olympics and In Defense of Food. There’s a good chance something sweet will slip it’s way into my mouth, too – it’s a must!